How do you discover engaging blog topics?
Especially since blogging plays such a critical role with any B2B marketing strategy.
One major challenge: Where to start?
Creating blog topics that readers find helpful and educational certainly is not an easy task.
Additionally, many small business owners question the value of blogging for their company.
Especially for those in manufacturing.
Common questions asked during discussions with manufacturers who are considering blogging:
- Who has time to actually blog?
- In particular, as a manufacturer or small business owner, what the heck do you blog about anyway?
- Does a business truly benefit from blogging?
- More importantly will blogging connect with new customers?
- Bottom line, will blogging actually generate sales?
Blogging delivers powerful results for many reasons.
Several benefits of blogging include:
- Tremendous SEO Value
- Customer engagement
- Educate customers
- Inform potential prospects on your company, products and services
- Convert content from blogs into social media posts
So, let’s dig deeper on blog topics to consider for your business.
Where to Start?
Actually there are tons of blog topics to consider for your customers.
Yet, taking the time and energy to actually sit at a computer and type these thoughts out sounds overwhelming. Daunting. Seems like a waste of time.
I get it. You are BUSY! Constant fires to put out. You have a steady list of issues that need addressing.
Stopping to type out a blog post typically does not make the priority list for most small business owners.
Especially those who lack the experience in creating content. Let alone the desire.
A common response to blogging is, “If I wanted to be a blogger, I would have gone to journalism school.”
However, the great thing about blogging, anyone with a computer, laptop, cellphone or mobile device can now create a voice.
Stepping out of your comfort zone to put your thoughts out on the World Wide Web can be intimidating for many.
So, wondering where to start?
For example, find a topic that you are an expert in or where you share a deep passion. Then sit down and just start typing.
Still questioning what blog topics would create the most impact for your business?
The goal here is to help you achieve your goals.
Blog Topics: Just Start
When it comes to blogging, just start with one blog a month.
However, just start.
Then consider every other week. Possibly graduate to once a week.
It takes time though. Be patient.
Yet, give it everything you’ve got.
For your first post, simply begin blogging about your business. Your product line. Your area of expertise.
No one knows your products better than you.
If someone was sitting across from you and you needed to describe what you do, type that.
Consider this analogy: pretend you are in front of a classroom of 6th graders and it is “Mom or Dad comes to school for career day”.
Well, you better be on your “A game” because 6th graders are a tough crowd. They can smell fear or weakness a mile away.
Also, you have the pressure that you MUST be the “cool” parent. You don’t want the other kids telling your child how boring you are.
Years from now these kids will say “I never wanted to become a _______, because this parent came in our classroom and did such a pathetic job explaining what they did for a living that I vowed to NEVER do what they do.”
How is that for pressure or incentive to share what you do with a passion?
Blog About What You Know Best
Another option when determining blog topics, pretend your dream customer is standing in front of you. It could be at a trade show. At a conference or event. The coffee shop. On the street.
What would you say? How would you describe your business? Can you paint a clear picture of how you can solve their problem?
Otherwise, another scenario, let’s pretend a customer is taking a tour of your facility.
During a tour, you will demonstrate why you are the BEST option to provide the solution that this particular customer is seeking? You will show off your amazing team, equipment, machinery, and resources.
Well, there’s another potential blog post. Actually, an entire series of blog posts.
The internet makes everyone’s lives more efficient.
Especially since it is unrealistic to stand face to face with every prospect.
To turn it around, when you are the buyer seeking a new vendor, where do you turn?
In the past, you had to go to trade shows to find the best vendors.
Back in the 1990’s, I recall going to trade shows to find new vendors. In January. The dead middle of winter. It was expensive (plus very cold). It also meant time away from running my business.
On another occasion many years ago, I traveled to Hong Kong searching for new vendors. It was an absolutely wonderful experience, just not efficient.
All of that just to find new products and vendors. Sure it is great meeting new people face to face.
However, conducting a Google search or connecting with new vendors on social media works so much more efficiently and affordably.
Blogging helps you make those valuable and profitable connections. Efficiently.
Blog Topics for Your Business
Finally, let’s dig into blog topics to launch your blogging journey.
Below includes a list of blog topics to consider when starting your blogging career:
- How you started the company
- Why you chose entrepreneurship
- Explain the benefits of outsourcing the products and services that you offer
- Information about your community
- Start a blog series on your proprietary products or processes
- Reviews on the equipment and tools that you use
- Meet the Team: Profile your amazing employees
- Case studies
- Customer Service Questions – FAQ’s are excellent blog topics
- Benefits of Made in USA
- Safety concerns in your industry
- New equipment purchases
- Updates or improvements on your website as well as progress with internet marketing
- Engineers in your industry
- Influencers in your industry
- Customer testimonials
- Historical figures in your industry
- What is (Blank)? — describe the parts that go into your products
- Explain how your products are made
- Point out industries that use your products
- Book Reviews
- Videos, Videos, Videos – start creating How-To videos of your expertise as blog posts
- Create Guidebooks
- Company announcements such as new hires, new efficiencies, new products
FREE Blogging Resources
Lastly, below includes several outstanding free blogging resources to help you get started:
- ProBlogger – Recommended Blogging Resources & Tools
- Neil Patel – The Ultimate Guide to Writing Blog Posts That Rank in Google’s Top 10
- Brian Dean – Blogger Outreach: The Definitive Guide (2019)
- Hubspot – Free Blogging Resources
In conclusion, one thing to remember, just get started!
For those already enjoying success with blogging, what resources do you find the most helpful?
Thank you for reading & wishing you tremendous success with your blogging journey!