The time has finally come for you to join the massive B2B eCommerce party. In fact, it’s the $1.8 TRILLION B2B eCommerce party! One challenge though: Where to start? Wouldn’t it be great to have an eCommerce checklist to walk you through the process?
We have your back.
Especially since you’ve made the outstanding decision that you can no longer afford to be the “Best Kept Secret”.
However, if you are not tech savvy and have no experience in eCommerce, just getting started can be daunting and overwhelming.
Yet, embracing eCommerce offers a healthy dose of opportunity.
The goal here is to provide the necessary tools and guidance to help you reach eCommerce success.
Above all, put you on the right path.
Not only to catch up with the competition but also to create competitive advantages that surpass others selling similar products.
This discussion primarily targets manufacturers just starting out in eCommerce.
Another powerful approach for manufacturers entering eCommerce is to turn your proprietary process into a proprietary product.
Most importantly, entering the world of eCommerce offers extremely exciting new opportunities.
Opens new doors.
The bottom line: Sell more products that you are an expert at producing.
Following an eCommerce Checklist dramatically helps your cause.
eCommerce Checklist: Settlers Reap the Land
I had a mentor who used to always say, “Pioneers ended up with arrows in their backs. Settlers reaped the land.”
At this stage, the pioneers of eCommerce from the 1990’s and early 2000’s paved the way for entrepreneurs today to easily navigate eCommerce strategies.
There is no reason to find arrows in your back. Therefore, come in as a settler and reap the rewards.
Take advantage of the avoiding the mistakes that others have made.
Following an eCommerce checklist helps you reduce stress while starting your eCommerce journey.
Especially since now is the time to join the exploding B2B eCommerce market.
To sum up, you have been in business for many years.
Selling through traditional sales channels.
You found your place in the supply chain that made sense and hopefully lots of Cents.
Now you feel like the world made a drastic change.
Yet, no one sent you a memo on these changes though.
Sometimes change is subtle.
That is until it is no longer subtle and hits you in the face.
Suddenly you find that the traditional supply chain is not following the rules as before.
For example, Alibaba provides a mammoth marketplace making Chinese-made goods much more accessible and easier to purchase.
In addition, Amazon is soliciting Chinese manufacturers to sell direct to American consumers.
How have these changes impacted your business?
Well, change comes hard. Especially when the change is uninvited.
However, change is inevitable.
So let’s dig right in on the necessary steps for you to enter the eCommerce arena.
This eCommerce Checklist is a basic guide to help you get started.
The intention is to get you in the game and on the field as soon as possible.
In particular, this eCommerce Checklist targets two separate scenarios:
- For the DIYer: You can use this as a tool if you are a Do-It-Yourselfer looking to tackle the entire eCommerce project internally or on your own.
- Otherwise, if you are hiring a web design firm to create your eCommerce store, this checklist serves as a helpful guide to complete the project in a timely fashion. Most likely, your web designer provides their own eCommerce checklist with much greater detail.
With no further ado, here we go…………
- Domain Name
- Website Host
- Select your eCommerce platform (Ex: WooCommerce, Shopify, BigCommerce, etc…)
- Responsive Design: Mobile Friendly
- Company Logo
- Color Scheme
- Layout w/Strong Call to Action
- Category Header of Products or Services
- SSL Certificate
- Install Google Analytics
- Keyword Research
- About Us
- Company History
- Contact Us: Phone, Email, as well as Social Links
- Meet the Team Page
- Security Policy
- Terms & Conditions
- Credit Card Processor
- Payment Gateway
- Payment Options: MC, Visa, AMEX, Discover, PayPal, Google Pay
- Set up your state sales tax
- Fast & Easy Checkout Process
- Shipping Policy
- UPS or FEDEX Map (show delivery times)
- Show Shipping Rates
- Expedite Options
- Provide Tracking Info
- Return Policy
- Drop Ship Policy (if relevant)
- Contact UPS, USPS and FEDEX for Discounts
- Separate dedicated phone number to track eCommerce leads
- Designated customer service staff to handle eCommerce sales – train accordingly
- Dedicated emails with your company domain name (@your company – avoid gmail, hotmail, etc..)
- Set up relevant email accounts (Ex: info@, Sales@, RFQ@, etc…)
- Product images (multiple angles)
- Short Description: Quickly describe what are you selling
- Long Description: (detailed) sizes, dimensions, specs, all necessary info (do not assume your customer knows your product)
- Price (single price, quantity breaks, blanket orders, as well as scheduled shipments)
- Product warranty or guarantee
- Safety Certifications (Ex: UL Certification)
- Product videos
eCommerce Checklist: Keep it Lean
As you take the plunge into eCommerce, go into the process flexible and also lean.
Consider a similar strategy as the book, “The Lean Startup” by Eric Reis.
Eric Reis preaches flexibility and agility.
Furthermore, be laser focused with your strategic plan. However, be flexible enough to listen to customers.
You may think you have created the greatest mousetrap on the planet.
Yet, the market with confirm if you are right or not.
Give yourself timelines, benchmarks as well as specific goals.
Additionally, a major benefit with this strategy, eCommerce offers you the flexibility to change quickly.
Lastly, keep adjusting and tweaking until you find your grove.
eCommerce Checklist: Think Profit!
In conclusion, what do you think?
Are you ready now to make the leap into eCommerce?
Still questioning why go into eCommerce in the first place?
There is truly only one answer. Profit!
Profit by opening new doors as well as explore new markets.
If you are ready to launch your eCommerce store right now, let’s take the plunge.
You have my word, eCommerce will create new opportunities and reach customers that you never knew existed.
Following each item on the eCommerce Checklist is one step closer to reaching your goal.
Just put one foot in front of the other to finally…..get in the game!
Thanks for stopping by. You can also check out these helpful posts: